Adding semantic markup to the HTML for the matrix give users more control of the matrix' appearance using a custom stylesheet. Also, several hard-coded values should be moved to the default stylesheet. Gonzalo suggested the following additions:
1. Give the table an id and move the hard-coded width="100%" to the stylesheet.
2. Make it possible to address each column and each row by adding classes to each <td> and <th>. For example,
<td class="col0 row2">
3. Make it possible to address each cell by providing and id:
4. Provide the static column headers and footers for large matrices by moving the first <tr> into a <thead> and moving the <tbody> down to the second row (the first non-header row). In large matrices, the header could be duplicated in a footer dynamically by adding a <tfoot> when there are more than a certain number of rows in the table.
5. The default css should provide settings for color, background, border, display, width, and height.
6. Where there is no style defined, style="" should not appear.
7. Hard-coded styles such as "pointer: cursor" should be moved into the stylesheet. If possible, the tooltip style should be moved into the stylesheet.