Affects Version/s: 2.6.0
Fix Version/s: None
Since there were still so many issues with
SAK-800, it's status was recently brought up by Stephen on the QA mailing listlist, Because of followup concerns and based on the comments for on the jira for SAK-800, I believe that it shouldn't be released in the final build. This contributed patch was merged into trunk in an unfinished state and made it into the 2.6 release. Ideally the issues in this patch should be resolved but this will unlikely happen before the release and it should not hold it up.
Here were my comments on the QA list:
- There is no feedback to the user when anything goes bad, as the link appears on resources that you don't have permission to (this could be checked for permission first in FolderCompressAction) and there was an NPE as indicated on the jira.
- No solution for extracting files that already exist in resources
- If the zip file or number of contained files is large, the extraction/compression might take a long time and the UI will block interaction rather than threading it. An alternative would be to have it check sizes in advance. I think I even tested a zip file containing 0K small files and it took almost 5 minutes to uncompress.
- I wasn't sure if compressing large files/directories ran into memory errors or not, some of these edge cases should be tested.
- I don't think I tested what happens operated on really isn't a zip file, just has a .zip extension There's no error messages shown by the tool, so
- More errors in general need to be show to the user.
This should be able to be easily disabled in the UI, you'd just have to wrap up
the actions in FileUploadType/FolderType
actions.put(ResourceToolAction.EXPAND_ZIP_ARCHIVE, new FileUploadExpandAction());
I don't know if we'd want to wrap these up with a user settable sakai.properties value, comment it out of the code or unmerge this patch. It would be nice to eventually see it working. I would probably vote to disable via property just to give someone interest on possibly working on it again. Like resources.zip.experimental = false.