Noticed strange behavior when viewing site info for site created and populated by our custom CourseManagement and Realm providers.
In participant list - all students displayed before the instructor were displayed in <select> box as inactive. This behavior was related to display order, not anything about the user.
i.e. When displaying initially - all students appearing at the top of the screen and who were alphabetically less than crosbie were inactive, users at the bottom of the screen, greater than crosbie were active. When resorting on name field to descending, all users at top of screen, which were > crosbie became displayed as inactive, users < crosbie displayed as active.
It is only a display issue, but for the fact that there is a lone button at the bottom of the page labeled update. It is possible, even likely, that a user will click this button as a way to dismiss the page and inadvertantly lock out some significant portion of their students.
we traced the problem to chef_site-siteInfo-list.vm and chef_site-sitemanage-particiapnts.vm
As a workaround we modified the code at line 304 and following in chef_site-siteInfo-list.vm to account for an undefined state.
#set($grant = $realm.getUserGrant($uniqname))
#set($grantActive = $!grant.isActive())
#if ($grant=="" || $!grant.isActive())
It would be nicer if the realm code dealt cleanly with an undefined grant state.
Curiously - if we added a user manually to the site, in addition to those added by the provider, the entire list worked as expected. This may be a useful jumping off point for further exploration.