Observed on 3 stable (rc4) instances, and also on the 3 trunk instances with one difference.
When I publish or unpublish a site in any instance, the site's appearance does not change to reflect this until I log out and back in. The tab for the newly created/published site also does not appear until I log out and back in.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Log in as user (not admin).
2. Create project site A, but leave "publish site" box unchecked.
3. Site is created with "Unpublished site" warning in sidebar.
4. Go to Site Info > Site Access.
5. Check the "publish site" box and click Update.
6. The site is now published, but it doesn't look like it - the "unpublished site" warning text is still at the top of the sidebar.
7. Log out and back in again - now the site appears correctly.
1. As user (not admin), create project site B and publish it.
2. Go to Site Info > Site Access.
3. Uncheck the "Publish site" box and click update.
4. Site B is now unpublished, but doesn't look like it.
5. Log out and back in again - now the "unpublished site" warning appears in the sidebar.