HSQLDB is no longer going to be supported in Sakai 11.
See the Strawman Proposal: https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/REL/Sakai+11+straw+man
So a few things need to be done:
- It should no longer include the jar(s) by default
- HSQLDB scripts should be removed from kernel and other places that use it (because they won't work anyway if we ever do upgrade)
- Jiras that involve a problem specific to HSQLDB should be closed as "Won't Fix"
- New 11 nightly instances won't be running HSQLDB (Already planned)
- The Sakai Demo needs to include a readme and documentation for how to startup Sakai on MySQL
After this is done, the unit tests will still run on HSQLDB, but ideally these will be updated over time. So ensure the unit tests aren't broken.