In a points-based gradebook, if you make a category extra credit, it is incorrectly adding the points from items within that category to the "Total Points" displayed to users on the Course Grades screen. However, if you make individual items extra credit, rather than the category, the Total Points is displayed correctly.
- Go to Gradebook > Gradebook Setup and select the radio buttons for "Points" and "Categories only"
- Set up 2 categories: "All Points" and "Bonus" and check the box for "Extra Credit" next to the "Bonus" category
- Go to Gradebook items > Add a Gradebook Item and add an item worth 100 points and put it into the "All Points" category.
- Add a second item worth 10 points and place it in the "Bonus" category.
- Go to Course Grades and look at the Total Points displayed. You will see 110 points total. This total is incorrect. It should not be adding the 10 points from the item in the Bonus EC category into the total points for the course.
- Now, go back to Gradebook Setup and remove the check box for Extra Credit next to "Bonus"
- Then, go to Gradebook Items and Edit the item within the Bonus category. Select the check box for Extra Credit for that item.
- Go to Course Grades and look at the Total Points displayed. You will see 100 points total. This is the correct total.