1. Enabling LaTex for the site through Site Info > Edit Site Information > checkbox at bottom, save
2. Enabling LaTex for the tool through Site Info > manage tools, checkbox next to Tests & Quizzes. Save.
3. Create an assessment, add a single question through dropdown option "Short Answer/Essay" ... wait
4.Reverse. Remove LaTex checkbox for the tool.
5. Return to the Assessment.
6. Select Short Answer/Essay question type.
7. Box for question text appears (without CKEditor palette enabled).
8. Click on linked text "Show Rich-Text Editor (and character count)"
9. CKEditor now appears.
10. With LaTex still disabled for Tests & Quizzes, but enabled at the site level, return to Tests & Quizzes and create another short answer type question. Click on the 'sigma' symbol. Click on the <tex> symbol in the MathML editor tool palette. Paste in this text:
It appears that LaTex works without being enabled at the tool level. Is this a documentation issue?