It is possible to cause significant calculation errors with Drop Highest / Drop Lowest / Keep Highest when using external GB items (e.g., Assignments, Samigo, etc.).
- Set up Categories & Weighting. Create a category called "Category 1".
- Add Gradebook items to Category 1. Ensure that all items have the same total point value (e.g., 100).
- Back within "Gradebook Setup," enable "Drop Lowest" and set it to drop the lowest 1 score in Category 1.
- Now, within Assignments, create a new assignment. Set the point value to a different point total (e.g., 200), and add to the Gradebook. Choose to add it to Category 1.
The Assignment will be successfully created. It will be added to the GB with a point value of 200.
What this means for drop highest / drop lowest / keep highest:
- Incorrect values can end up getting dropped. Example: If providing a score of 75/100 for a manual item and 100/200 for the assignment, the 75/100 will end up getting dropped because Drop Lowest only looks to the recorded score. The category subtotal will accurate reflect that the student has a 50% for the category, but Drop Lowest is dropping the incorrect score.
- You can no longer edit the Drop Lowest field for this category. It's stuck with "1" in the field. In fact, you can no longer remove Drop Lowest at all. Trying to remove Drop Lowest and saving results in a screen refresh, and Drop Lowest will still be implemented.