Affects Version/s: 11.4
Environment:Focused testing on https://trunk-mysql.nightly.sakaiproject.org/portal/
Once an instructor changes group membership, those changes can take 10+ minutes to be reflected in the Roster tool. Professors will often assume there is a bug or problem if changes are not reflected in close proximity to when the adjustments are made.
I've used Trunk/MySQL, Google Chrome, and Windows 10 for reference.
STEPS TO REPLICATE
- Create at least two users (e.g. instructor01, student01)
- Create a course or project site with announcements, assignments, roster
- Go to the new site
- "Site Info" > "Add Participants" and enroll the student account
- "Site Info" > "Manage Groups" and create one group called "Group Alpha-Beta-Charlie" and add the student user into that group. Click "Add" to save your work.
- Click the "Roster" tool – you'll see the instructor and student, and the student should be assigned to the new group. Nice!
- "Drat," you think to yourself, "I forgot something." Return to "Site Info" > "Manage Groups" and create a second group called "Group Delta-Echo-Frank." Add the instructor into this group, click "Add" to save your work.
- Click "Roster"... and the new group membership is not reflected. (Instructor still has label "Ungrouped.") Start your timer...
- Click the "Roster" name in left menu or top tool name to refresh the tool data every 1-2 minutes. Throw in a browser refresh every now and again for good measure.
- If I stay within the Roster tool and only use the refresh option (click Tool name), it takes over 10 minutes for the update to happen. If I refresh the tool, browser, go to other tools and other sites and return, the change in group membership takes about 5 minutes on average.
I understand that there may be roster or name-lookup caching to improve performance. If the delay is a conscious design decision to address a problem for production performance (e.g. a site with 1000+ users), perhaps some logic on the user count might determine whether the refresh is immediate, short delay (60 seconds) or longer delay?
Thank you for reviewing.