Issue: The placement of the select a question type drop-down menus at the BOTTOM of each assessment Part on the Questions editing screen is irritating at best, confusing at worst.
The primary function of the Questions screen is to add a question. Most instructors create assessments with only ONE part and multiple questions. If an instructor is creating a one-part assessment, they need to keep scrolling all the way to the BOTTOM of the screen every time a new question has been added to find the drop-down menu and add another question. This can be very frustrating, especially if the assessment has many questions.
If an instructor is adding a question to a Part in a multi-part assessment, the select a question type drop-down is currently displayed closest to the Part below it (screen shot below). For example, selecting add a new question right above where it says Part 2 will actually default to adding a question to Part 1. This can be confusing.
- Display the select a question type drop-down at the TOP of each Part, immediately under where it says the Part number and title.
- At the bottom of the page, display a static select a question type drop-down which defaults to adding a question to the Part immediately above it (the last Part of the assessment).
Mock-Up of Proposed Changes: (It's relatively large, click to view)
- Go to Tests & Quizzes and enter an Assessment Title under Create from Scratch, then click Create.
- Use the select a question type drop-down and add a question of any type.
- Add several more questions, at least 10, to make the page relatively long.
- Go all the way back to the top of the screen and select Add Part.
- Enter a Part title and create your part.
- Go down to the bottom of the screen and select a question type to add a question to Part 2. Note the confusing position of Part 1's drop-down menu directly above it.
- Note that when you add a question, you can also choose a different part to assign the question to it instead, if desired. This is correct behavior, as per previous versions of Sakai, so the drop-down menus' labels should NOT be changed to indicate the part to which you are adding the question.
NOTE: In Sakai 10, the select a question type drop-down displayed at the top of the screen, as well as after each question (screen shot below). I understand that the display modification in Sakai 11 was intended to mitigate the repetition of this menu, but I think putting it only at the bottom of each part is problematic.