The Extended Delivery/Delivery Exceptions interface has multiple usability issues. It is counter-intuitive, confusing, and behaves differently from other tools and/or other places within the Samigo settings in the ways I will list below. I believe this should be considered a bug rather than a feature, because due to these factors, the feature appears to be incomplete and in need of more development. This may need a parent jira with several subtasks to address the different issues.
- When left null, due/late submission date fields do not fill with the ACTUAL dates that are being applied. EVERYWHERE else in Sakai, null fields indicate "available forever". That dates behave differently here is both misleading and will likely cause instructors to create tests that students cannot take, thinking that the null dates will make them available forever. If any date is being applied, it needs to be pre-filled in the date fields - I believe ---
--- is where the current behavior of null fields not actually representing null dates for extended delivery was established. SAM-3090
- Setting whether a test is timed does NOT require selecting a check box to indicate that the test should be timed - unlike behavior in the normal settings, selecting the timer drop-downs triggers the creation of a timer. This can result in an excepted student (unfairly) having a time limit when no other student does. A check box should be required to make the establishment of a time limit clear. -
is where this came into play. SAM-3096
- Any warning message related to timers, e.g. the existing If you want the student to have a time limit on a timed exam you MUST set the time limit here, a time limit of 0 will result in no limit., needs to be placed adjacent to where you set the timer, NOT farther down on the page where no one is likely to encounter it.
- In my testing, you no longer need to click Add an Exception to confirm adding an exception before saving. This appears to have been fixed in -
-. The description under the button says You must click the 'Add an Exception' button to add individual exception(s) before saving settings. This descriptive text should be removed. SAM-3094
- After you set exceptions, the exceptions are hidden under the exceptions section - they should be displayed more prominently under Availability and Submissions because when editing the settings after creating exceptions, it may not be evident to the instructor that they actually saved. (I thought the feature was broken when I first tried it!)