Affects Version/s: 11.2, 12.0
Component/s: Tests & Quizzes (Samigo)
Previous Issue Keys:SAM-3218
SAM-2985 is a band-aid fix to prevent the following situation:
Instructor publishes assessment with a past Late submissions date and a NULL due date. Student attempts to take the test and the following occurs:
- The student can't take the test.
- An actual take triggers on Begin Assessment.
- If the test is timed, this take is submitted immediately (because the assessment retract date is in the past) and the student gets an erroneous blank submission.
SAM-2985 puts in place a date check on publish such that a due date equal to or later than the late submissions date is required. However, instructors can accidentally "work around" this date check to produce erroneous student submissions. UVA has a fix to the cause of the erroneous submissions that should be contributed back.
Steps to reproduce:
- In a site with at least one student, create an assessment with at least one question.
- In Settings, select the following:
- due date = Now
- late submissions date = Now
- timed (and enter a time in min)
- Click Save Settings and Publish
- On the Publish Assessment screen do NOT publish yet. Click Edit Settings.
- DELETE the due date.
- At the bottom of the screen, click Save. Note: No date check ever occurs on Save because it doesn't matter what the dates are in Working Copies.
- Samigo politely returns you to the Publish Assessment screen with the incorrect date settings saved. Click Publish.
- Log in as a student.
- Go to samigo and note that you can click the link to the test even though it shouldn't be available.
- Try to access the test. Note in the begin assessment page that the late submission date is displayed.
- Click Begin Assessment.
- Get the "sorry it's past the late submission date" message.
- Go back to samigo main page and find your freshly submitted, blank test. (If you didn't allow feedback in the settings, you can log in as instructor to confirm that it's 0 score also)