Believe that changes need to be made to Lesson Builder and/or the import process. It’s really easy to create ‘orphaned’ (archived) records in Lesson builder. These are items that show up under the ‘Index of Pages’ but are not available when a faculty member first loads the Lessons tool.
There are a few ways to go about creating these types of items :
• Remove/Add Lesson tool via Site Setup
• Import from Site using replace functionality
• Import timing out: each time many records are still created but it’s not apparent to user. Timeout happens when there are too many LB items and impacts server (and db performance)
• User decides not to link to a page any longer. They click to delete but that doesn’t really happen
If you think about a faculty getting impatient waiting for the import & running it multiple times . . . . . the problem grows exponentially. Below are some suggestions to address the root of the problem:
• Import from Site (Replace option) - Should delete the records rather than move them into orphaned/archive state
• When a user deletes an item via the UI, it should indicate it’s just being removed from this page and it’s available from the archive
• Import from site should only copy/merge over ‘active’ pages
Here are some steps to reproduce the problem(this is for ease not a use case). You'll need 2 sites: Site A and Site B. Site A should have a decent amount of content.
1) Import Site A to Site B
2) Import Site A to Site B using the replace content.
3) Repeat #2 (when the import begins to timeout - that's when the servers should start to be impacted)
The example for recreated isn't realistic but does create the conditions (orphaned pages) that lead to the problem. That happens after semesters of using the tool.