This is a strange little problem. It only seems to fail on the Oracle nightly instance. I don't know if this is Oracle-related or has something to do with site caching setup. Steps to reproduce are as follows:
- Make a project site including the Home tool
- Navigate to the site Home
- Edit the instance and set the URL to something like http://www.dr-chuck.com/
- Press "Save"
- Good behavior: You see www.dr-chuck.com
- Bad behavior: you see the old setting (likely blank)
- When you see the bad behavior - press "Refresh" and it will be fine.
- You can then press edit again and change the URL to http://www.pythonlearn.com/ and press "Save"
- If it is broken - you still see www.dr-chuck.com until you press "Refresh"
- You can also press "Edit" again and see the new value is there in the properties
- If you press "Cancel" you will see the new information
When it is not working (i.e. on Oracle/nightly) the change is not effective until a second time the page is shown. When it is working (MySql, HSQL) as soon as you press save you see what you are supposed to see.
I think that someone should look carefully at the saveSiteInfo() method in the DB implementation of the site service and think through the cache implications.