We are using JAWS 18.0 and Internet Explore. This happens after an instructor has added an announcement with an attachment. On the announcements page (where instructors can select add, edit, etc.), the paperclip that signifies an announcement has an attachment is there visually, but a screen reader does not read it out loud. A potential solution to this could be adding a label to the paper clip that signifies the announcement has an attachment.
Steps to Recreate:
- As an instructor in a course site select the announcements tab
- Select "Add" to add an announcement
- Add an announcement as you normally would. When you get the option to add an attachment select the "Add Attachments" button.
- Select the browse button, and pick a file to attach
- After adding the attachment, post the announcement
- On the announcements page, there is a paperclip next to your new announcement signifying that it has an attachment
- When a screen reader user tabs through the table the paperclip is not read out loud or verbally acknowledged by the screen reader.