The "Statistics" tool (sitestats) records incorrect data based on user activity in the Forums tool.
- Create a site.
- Add two students.
- "STUDENT01" creates a new conversation. No other activity.
- "STUDENT02" creates a new conversation. No other activity.
- Go to Statistics
- Create a report
- Give it a title (e.g. Forums Statistics test)
- Set "What" as Events
- Set "When" as Last 365
- Set "Who" as All
- Set "How" as User, Tool, Event, Date
- Save the report and run it
- Both students have the following activity (when they have only created a new conversation, not replied to any other posts or read anyone else's post:
- Creating a new thread should not create a statistic for responding to a thread, correct? Clicking "start new conversation" should only increment the "new thread" option, right?
- Creating a new thread should also not count as a "read" event for the same person's post, correct? If someone posts a message, it feels like double-dipping to get credit for reading your own post?
I would expect (given the steps above) for the Statistics tool to only be:
I view the issue we are reporting as a bug. I believe the counting or tally process is off. If the tool was designed to record the statistics in this manner, then I strongly recommend that the method of counting Forums activities is changed to reflect expected behavior.
NOTE: The above Statistics data and steps were done on Sakai 12.3 (https://qa2-us.nightly.sakaiproject.org) on 8/2/2018. We also see the same statistics counts in our local instance of Sakai 11.4.
Thank you for reviewing this issue.