Affects Version/s: 19.3, 20.0, 21.0 [Tentative]
Fix Version/s: None
The date picker/calendar widget pops up as soon as a text field where you can enter a date receives focus. However, keyboard-only and screen reader users cannot interact with the calendar at all (see also SAK-40203)
- Preferred fix:
- Make it possible for the content of the calendar widget to receive keyboard focus. Allow keyboard users to use standard keyboard commands (e.g., tab and enter) to select dates and buttons.
- Make it possible for the calendar widget to be used by a screen reader user (i.e., by doing #1 above and also making text alternatives to visual elements). This would likely be very complex to develop.
- Less desirable fix, if neither of above is possible:
- Make it so that the calendar widget does not pop up on entering the date field - the user must specifically select the calendar icon to open the widget.
- Make it so the calendar widget cannot receive keyboard focus. It can only be opened on click, so as not to confuse users who cannot interact with it.
- Make it so assistive technology such as a screen reader ignores the calendar widget (e.g., aria-hidden).
For testing steps, we need to know the fix that would go into place.