Type: Feature Request
Status: Awaiting Review
Affects Version/s: 19.2, 20.0
Fix Version/s: None
Component/s: Forums Tool
- Login to Trunk and locate a course site containing the Forums tool.
- Click on the Forums tool.
- Click "New Topic" on the default forum.
- Scroll down to view the "Anonymous" feature
When creating a new topic in Forums, instructors are presented with the option to configure their topic to be anonymous and to determine who – if any – should be able to see the identities of those students who post.
But the wording of this feature is very confusing.
The first checkbox to enable the feature reads: "Posts are anonymous, but identities will be revealed to those with the Identify Anonymous Authors permission below. Note: Roles with Owner Permissions can view identities by default."
There are two points of confusion here with this wording:
- It's not clear that the "Identify Anonymous Authors Permission Below" is actually referring to the second checkbox that gets revealed upon clicking this first checkbox (i.e. "Reveal identities to roles with the 'Identify Anonymous Authors' permission below"), and is actually specifically referring to the "Identify Anonymous Authors" Permission Items on the Permission-by-role table at the bottom of the page.
- The last 'note' (i.e. "Note: Roles with Owner Permission can view Identities by Default") is confusing when trying to square it with the second, revealed checkbox. If its granted by default, then instructors may wonder why they are being confronted with another checkbox prompting them to allow roles who already have default permission to view identities.
Instructors will not understand all this confusing language and so better wording is needed.
What's really happening here is that the second checkbox (i.e. "Reveal identities to roles with the 'Identify Anonymous Authors' permission below") seems to be serving as a final, transparent check in getting the instructor to be very deliberate about revealing identities to those who already possess the "Identify Anonymous Authors" permission in the permission-by-role table at the bottom of the page.
While I propose the following, I am completely open to ideas from others:
First checkbox: Posts are anonymous.
Second checkbox: Confirm your desire to reveal identities to roles possessing the "Identify Anonymous Authors" permission item in the Permissions-by-Role table below.