Type: Feature Request
Affects Version/s: 2.3.0
Fix Version/s: None
This feature request is about adding a model answer to assignments and setting it to be available to students after submissions are graded and returned. It turns out that this is a really critical requirement for faculty. Samigo allows instructors to add model answers to questions to show after feedback is released.
See the attached image for a very quick attempt of what it may look like.
The goal here is to have a practical way for instructors to share model answers with students without having to attach/write a solution to every single student when they grade their work (like they have to do now), but rather, do it only once when they create the assignment, and check the box to release the model answer to students after submissions are graded. This can be done when returning one assignment at a time or all at once.
- Instructors should be able to add (optionally) a model answer in a text box or as an attachment.
- Since this is optional and not all instructors use it, it should not clutter the assignment screen. I am proposing an 'expand' icon (see triangle) to expand the "add a model answer" section.
- Instructors can check the box to ensure that the model answer is available to students. This will show the model answer to student(s), only after the assignment has been graded and released.
- Instructors could choose to use the Release Grades link/option to return the grade submissions (with solutions, if included) all at once, and save submissions as drafts while grading, if they don't want to release the model answers to some students earlier than others, by returning as they grade.
- Students will see the model answer, if provided, on the same 'Assignment - returned' page where they currently see instructor comments, their grade/points, and the assignment they submitted itself.
The implementation of this may be more complex than it appears at first glance. A number of things need to be implemented, of course, such as having the ability to revise model answers, remove and add attachment solutions after the fact, check the release model answer box later in the process, etc. Furthermore, this feature affects 'import from site' which would also need to be revised, so that solutions transfer to future sites when instructors import assignments from term to term.
As always, many thanks to the U of M assignments team for considering adding this feature.
Let me know if you have any questions on the requirements for this feature. Thanks.